I’ve been meaning to make this recipe for awhile and it was so insanely easy I’m wondering why I haven’t done it sooner! This cabbage and ramen Asian salad seems to be a popular salad for potlucks – as that’s pretty much the only place I’ve ever eaten it. But after making it I could see how it would be a great side salad to go with grilled chicken or chicken barbecue sandwiches.
- 1 large green cabbage – shredded into small pieces
- 6-8 scallions – diced thinly
- ¼ Cup Mirin (found with Asian foods)
- ¼ Cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ Teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ Cup Sesame oil
- ¼ Cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- ¼ Cup Toasted Sesame seeds
- ¼ Cup Black Sesame seeds
- 2 packages instant ramen noodles – crushed - I found the easiest way to crush these, without making a mess, is to leave inside package and hit with bottle side of large spoon. Be careful not to split the bag. Discard seasoning packet.
- Optional toppings/additional ingredients – Slivered almonds, sunflower seeds, shredded carrots
- In a big bowl mix together the sliced cabbage and scallions
- In another bowl, mix together the mirin, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and oils. Whisk well.
- Pour over cabbage and slaw. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and ramen noodles.
- Serve immediately.
If making ahead for a potluck or event, keep cabbage, dressing and ramen noodles all separate until right before serving.
I know there are MANY variations to this cabbage ramen salad – if you make this with a different recipe – leave a comment and let me know!
This recipe was adapted from the Hawaiian-Style Sesame Cabbage Salad from Saveur.