I made this recipe on a whim last week and I loved it so much I think it will definitely end up in our meal rotation. Last December I found basil on clearance and I made a whole batch of pesto that I froze using my trusty FoodSaver.
I was down to my last package of pesto and it worked perfectly to jazz up the red potatoes that were hanging out in my pantry.
- Pesto (homemade or store bought) – You can find my pesto recipe here.
- Red potatoes (or any tender potato that you have)
- Fresh parmesan reggiano
- Fresh pesto for garnish (optional)
- Dice up your potatoes to bite size pieces
- Boil potatoes. Don’t cook them until they are mush, but a potato salad consistency. (You can boil with a couple whole garlic cloves if you like garlic. You can take them out when the potatoes are done or mash them up and add them in.)
- Drain potatoes. While they are still warm, mix in your pesto.
- Grate some parmesan on top and garnish with fresh basil if you like. I also added a little rock salt.
This was super easy to make – especially because the pesto was already made. What do think? I’d love to hear your thoughts! I am not a fan of mayonnaise so I have a hard time finding potato salad recipes I like – I’d love your ideas or recipes for your favorite potato salads!