Today is my husband’s birthday! Everyone say, Happy Birthday Mr. Queen Bee! He’s actually the only reason this site exists – without him being such a staunch supporter and super star dad, this site wouldn’t happen. Plain. And. Simple.
To celebrate another year of him, last night we had steaks for dinner. We got the steaks using a Groupon offer for Omaha Steaks – it’s a great way to get top-quality steaks for nearly 50-60% off. They are really the best steaks and these ones were even wrapped in bacon! Mr. Bee found a recipe for a red wine and mushroom sauce and it was so awesome, I thought I’d share it with you. We hope you like it, too.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 pounds mushrooms – the recipe suggests wild mushrooms, we used regular ole bella mushrooms
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup Cabernet Sauvignon – we bought a cheap $5-6 bottle
- ¼ cup reserved beef broth (drippings from roast) or low-sodium canned broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Place a clean skillet over medium heat.
- Add butter and a little drizzle of olive oil. Once butter is melted add the shallots and saute for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add mushrooms and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together for a few minutes.
- Add the red wine, stirring to scrape up any stuck bits; then cook and stir to evaporate the alcohol. When the wine is almost all gone, add the reserved beef juices.
- Let the liquid cook down and then take it off the heat. Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper.
You could probably serve this over any kind of red meat.
Recipe credit: Red wine and mushroom sauce
What do you like to serve with your steak?