If you’re looking for a savory, robust and very filling soup, this Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Soup is amazing! My husband loved it – raving all night about how good it was. I like this recipe because I think it would work well without meat, without mushrooms and because it comes together so easily. This recipe will definitely make it into our regular slow cooker rotation.
- 6 cups of spaghetti sauce - Yyu can use homemade, I used a 24-oz store-bought jarred roasted garlic spaghetti sauce without meat.
- ½ lb browned ground beef
- ½ lb browned italian sausage, sliced (about 3-4)
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese - I used regular, not low fat cream cheese. I find that the lower fat cream cheeses can curdle in the slow cooker. The more you stir it the more likely it will all dissolve if you do opt for low fat cream cheese. I’d be interested to try this recipe with just regular half-and-half, eliminating this problem all together?
- 8 oz sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 16 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves (optional), cut into strips
- If you want to throw it together quickly in the morning I recommend cooking up your meat the night before. Brown your ground beef and Italian sausages (separately). Drain beef. Cut cooked sausages into thin slices. Refrigerate until morning.
- In the morning, combine spaghetti sauce and meat, chicken broth, cream cheese and mushrooms to slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before dinner, turn Crockpot to HIGH and toss in frozen tortellini, fresh spinach and parmesan cheese. Give it a good stir and cover and cook until it’s tender and hot.
- Serve it up and slurp it down. Top with parmesan or mozzarella cheese if you prefer more cheese.
(This recipe is adapted from Heather Likes Food blog)