If you’re a fan of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana soup – this recipe is for you! Zuppa Toscana is Olive Garden’s popular sausage, potato and kale soup. This version is made in the slow cooker and it’s ingredient list is so simple it’s a little ridiculous.
- Mild italian sausage – 1 pound
- Low Sodium Chicken Broth – 64 oz, plus 1 can of regular chicken broth, if needed
- Potatoes – 4 to 5 medium size potatoes, scrubbed and diced finely with skins - It’s recommended to use Yukon, but I used red potatoes and thought it tasted great!
- Heavy cream – ½ cup
- Kale – 1 to 1.5 cups bit-size kale
- Parmesan – grated, to taste
- Set slow cooker to high temperature. Add chicken broth to your slow cooker,
- On the stove top, in a skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat. Cook until no longer pink. Drain half of the fat.
- Add sausage to the slow cooker with the broth.
- Add diced potatoes to the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook on high for 3.5 to 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add heavy cream and your bite size pieces of kale. Stir well and do not open again until serving.
- Garnish with shredded parmesan or other favorite cheese.
Need a Slow Cooker? I’ve found the best places to look are Costco and Amazon in terms of price and quality. See all the current slow cookers available on Amazon at this time.