Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili
I’m not sure whether I’d call this Quinoa Chicken Chili or Quinoa Taco Soup – either way, I’d call it scrumptious. Quinoa is very high in protein, so it goes great in this chicken chili to help give it some heft and substance.
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- One (1) 28 oz can of diced tomatoes (you could use crushed)
- One (1) 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- Two (2) 16 oz cans of black beans, rinsed, drained
- One (1) 15 oz can of corn, drained
- 3 Cups chicken stock
- 2 large chicken breasts, frozen or thawed (cook longer if frozen)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Toss everything into slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-7 hours on high. I added frozen chicken breasts to mine and cooked on high for about six hours. As long as the chicken is cooked – it’s done!
- Remove chicken and shred it with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, avocados – whatever sounds good to you! I’m thinking the next day it would probably thicken up enough to eat in a whole wheat tortilla.
I’d love to know what you think about this recipe! Leave a comment and let me know!