This salad is super easy. Most of the ingredients can probably be found in your freezer or pantry. Add more of the ingredients you like and leave off the ones you don’t. You can’t really mess it up.
- 2 Cups chopped romaine. I didn’t measure, that just seems silly. You basically just need a heap of lettuce.
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained (about 1.5 cups)
- ½ Cup of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Cup of Grape tomatoes
- ½ Cup fresh, frozen or canned corn kernels
- ⅓ Cup green onions (I left this off)
- ½ Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional – ⅓ Cup crushed tortilla chips
- Optional – Sliced fresh avocado
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¾ Cup salsa
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice (I recommend fresh)
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Start with your romaine and top it with all salad ingredients. Add more of the things you like and less of what you don’t.
- In a separate bowl, mash ripe avocado with a fork until it’s mushy. Whisk together with all the other dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and serve with chips if you’d like.
Source: This recipe was adapted from a recipe I found in the May/June 2010 issue of Vegetarian Times.