Ahhh popcorn balls. I guess, back in the old days, back when everybody actually knew everybody (and by that I mean not just Facebook friends) – people would give out homemade popcorn balls on Halloween. My mom has made them every Halloween for as long as I can remember – mostly to send to my Grandma (her mom) who LOVES them.
My mom got this recipe from her aunt Eileen M. It’s not necessarily gourmet and it will rot your teeth. BUT it is very, very yummy and it is very, very easy. Maybe make a batch and bring them to your neighbor, just for old times sake.
- 20 cups of popped popcorn (air popped is best)
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 small package of JELL-O, any flavor
- Bring corn syrup and sugar to a boil. When sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Be careful you don’t want to burn this stuff.
- Stir JELL-O into syrup and sugar mixture.
- Put popped corn into a very large mixing bowl and pour the mixture over the popcorn.
- Spray hands with a non-stick spray or you could use butter. Anything to grease your hands up so the popcorn doesn’t stick.
- Form popcorn into balls. Let harden. Store in Ziploc bags or wrapped in cellophane until ready to eat. Store at room temperature.
Have you made homemade popcorn balls before? What’s your favorite flavor?
(Thank you for the recipe and photo mom. Wish I was up in Alaska to make them with you!)