This slow cooker salsa verde beef recipe apparently makes “the best tacos I’ve ever had,” per my handsome husband. He said this and I found myself slightly offended, and I replied, “But I’ve made you so many tacos. . . ” And he replied with a smile, “Well you made these, too.”
In the nearly 10 years I’ve been married to this man, he’s never complained, ever, about a meal I’ve made. At worse, he’ll just eat it and be done (bless him for that). He’s always complementary, even when I know he’s fibbing just to make me feel appreciated for cooking a meal. But I don’t think I’ve ever heard so many compliments about any particular recipe. Really. It was a hit.
So yes, I can pretty much plan on making this Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef recipe many times again, since now every other taco recipe I have up my sleeve will be compared to the “best taco recipe I’ve ever had,” declaration. They were really good, I agree. Even my kids had seconds.
I think this would be an wonderful recipe to make for a taco bar if you want to take it up a notch from the typical hamburger tacos. Taco bars are great ways to serve lots of people with a meal that allows them to adapt it with the toppings they like. Or make these into nachos for a party-size appetizer.
- 3-pound boneless rump or chuck roast, cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- ½ Cup diced onion
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup salsa verde (you know, salsa that is green) - I used mild, use whatever spice level you’d like
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add beef cubes and brown all sides. Work in batches if you have to.
- Transfer meat to 5-quart slow cooker. Add onions to the drippings in the skillet and saute until they are slightly brown. Stir in the spices and cook for about one minute. Add the salsa and stir, scraping up any brown bits.
- Add this salsa, onion, seasoning mixture to the beef in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. The meat should be very tender and shred easily when it’s stirred.
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. Leave a comment if you try it and let us know what you think!